Saturday, June 6, 2009

Current Reads

It seems I've been a little shy on posting lately. After such an insightful article (Default to Real Life) from my wife, I thought it would be better to lay low and hand over centre stage. Admittedly, I did throw in a couple of small articles, but only because they were not likely to divert the attention away from my wife's writing.

In any case, I think I will start placing new material on the board again. Unfortunately, this time 'round I have nothing of the usual calibre I place on St. Cynic. So if you'll bear with me while I place another of my current reads on, I'll get to something meatier in a couple of days -- or less, hopefully.

Here is what I'm working on at the moment:

I like Onfrey's writing style -- somewhat postmodern and anecdotal, but eloquent and heady, too -- but his overall 'defense' is weak, so far.


One word: incredibly brilliant! Haha! Okay. Bad joke. Seriously, if you haven't turned your head to this book before, you are missing out on one of the truly classic novels of all time. Whatever good I can say about this book would never suffice for actually reading the novel itself. You simply must read this book.

There's no excuse for not reading this book. You have to, and that's all there is to it. Chesterton is sheer genius.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like to hear, sometime, why you think Chesterton is "sheer genius".
I have so much reading to do, I'm running to keep up; yet, I'm probably reading more now than I've ever read before ... and such variety!
I wanted to say, Chis, that I really appreciate your thoughtfulness.
And it's not that you are giving Sarah a "shoe up" (pardon the expression) on the blog because I know she is your equal in life and I am so glad she is hear posting wonderful material and engaging us in thoughtful and intelligent and stimulating discussion.
I appreciate being challenged in some of my ways of thinking. Keep challenging me, Chris and Sarah.
I enjoy reading the insights of others, here, too.
Not enough time to keep us, but every now and then I can drop in and contribute some thought or question.
Blessings all,
J

Unknown said...

"I would like to hear, sometime, why you think Chesterton is "sheer genius"."

Well, anything I could say to contribute to a convincing argument of why Chesterton is 'sheer genius' would automatically be eclipsed by Chesterton's writings. Chesterton expressed his genius through his writings; there are no better places to encounter it.

"And it's not that you are giving Sarah a "shoe up" (pardon the expression) on the blog because I know she is your equal in life and I am so glad she is hear posting wonderful material and engaging us in thoughtful and intelligent and stimulating discussion."

You're right: Sarah easily equals me, and surpasses me in many ways. And like you, I'm very grateful that Sarah is here to contribute. Whenever she writes, I learn so much.

Thank you for all your compliments. You are a blessing.