Saturday, June 26, 2010

Tid-Bits

Well, here's a tid-bit to get you thinking about some of the common slang slung about in religious-speak. It turns out that the etymology of the word "testimony" comes from the Latin word, testis, which means "witness". The same word, testis, provides the root for what we commonly call "testicles".

The original meaning of the word 'testis' referred to the credibility of a man due to his evident virility. Thus a man who had 12 children was more credible than a man who had, say, 3. So, if man with more children were called upon to present a case for something-or-another, he would testify. That is, he would speak out knowing that because his balls work well, people would believe him.

I suppose Christians have something else to consider now when they give their testimonies.

3 comments:

Imogen Skye said...

Well now I know to decline the invitation to witness others' testmonies. And I guess I can accurately confess that I can't be and don't have one either, lol.

Oh, language: so much meaning and sooooo much meaning. *gush*

Imogen Skye said...

Okay, so I have a solution. I may bear wombness to the uteromony of my faith and this will be accepted based on my proven parity.

Lol.

Sooo glad to live in 2010. :)

Unknown said...

Thought you'd find this interesting - "Plato Code"
http://www.physorg.com/news196943667.html